Home News UN court to hear South Africa’s arguments over Israeli actions in Gaza

UN court to hear South Africa’s arguments over Israeli actions in Gaza

11
0

The United Nations’ top court is scheduled to hear South Africa’s arguments on Thursday afternoon after the country’s recent Asking the court to impose further restrictions on Israelsaying that the “existence” of Palestinians in Gaza is threatened.

In documents disclosed last week by the International Court of Justice in The Hague, South Africa cited the “irreparable harm” caused by Israel’s invasion of Rafah. Rafah is Gaza’s southernmost city, where half of the population has sought refuge. The rights of Palestinians in Gaza are under threat, the document said, adding that Israel’s control of two main crossing points in southern Gaza puts humanitarian supplies entering Gaza and the ability of local hospitals to operate at great risk.

South Africa is expected to ask the court to order Israel to immediately withdraw its troops from Rafah and “cease its military offensive” and allow “unhindered access” to international officials, investigators and journalists.

Israel has strongly denied South Africa’s claims and reiterated that it has no limits on the amount of aid entering the enclave.Israel also has explain Israeli authorities said its latest attack east of Rafah was a “precision operation” targeting only Hamas members. Hamas is the terrorist group that led the October 7 attack, which Israeli authorities said killed more than 1,200 Israelis and led to the arrest of about 250 people.

Israel is expected to present its defense in court on Friday. Israel’s Deputy Attorney General for International Law, Gilad Noem, is one of the officials from the Israeli delegation expected to address the court.

The hearings are part of South Africa’s case accusing Israel of genocide, Submitted in December.In late January, the International Court of Justice Orders Israel to take more action to prevent acts of genocide, but it stopped short of calling for a ceasefire. The main case involves genocide charges and is not expected to go to trial until next year.

United Nations officials and experts said Israel’s latest incursion into Rafah could plunge Gaza into further destruction as it briefly closed the Kerem Shalom crossing and seized the Rafah crossing. No humanitarian aid entering Gaza Injured and sick Palestinians seeking medical attention were restricted from leaving the enclave for days.

in the latest documentSouth Africa argued that the changing situation in Rafah required the court to add or update restrictions on Israel, which told Palestinians to seek asylum in Rafah early in the war.South Africa called Rafah Gaza’s “last refuge” which has not been substantially damaged and said the enclave’s remaining medical facilities were in extreme danger, noting Evidence of mass graves Two hospitals in Gaza.

“Israeli military raids and operations are killing the Palestinian people in Gaza while Israel starves them and deliberately denies them humanitarian aid and basic necessities,” South Africa said in the document. “Those who survived are now Facing imminent death, a court order is needed to ensure their survival.”

Maris Simmons and Jonathan Rice Contributed reporting.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here